Well it's our first anniversary! So in honor of that I thought I should tell our story. This will take a few posts, so come back later today for part 2 :) Let's start at the very beginning.....
Payton and I met at the age of 13/14 when he and his mom started attending our church. It was NOT love at first sight....far from it haha I can still remember a youth group trip ending in me yelling at Payton to "SHUT UP!" and he had his own opinion of me at the time. Yikes....not good lol However, somewhere along the line something changed. It was a God thing for sure because neither of us ever saw it coming. My senior year of High School(2005) he started calling me for no reason at all. We started hanging out at church and youth functions. Soon after he started coming along to some of my family things. We were "just friends" for awhile, but eventually we both wanted more. Things were kinda rocky those first couple years because of some situations...but we'll fast forward.
September 20, 2007. I can honestly say this was one of the worst days of my entire life. I cried more that day (and the days following) than I had my entire life. For two years now Payton had been a big part of my life and had become my best friend. But on this day I had to let the Army take him away to basic training. I knew in my heart this was God's plan for him and that he needed to do it. That's the only thing that kept me from being upset with him for joining. I have never to this day wished he didn't or resented him for it. It was the right thing for him to do. I had people come to me and say "talk him out of it. He'll listen to you." I couldn't talk him out of something that I knew God wanted. I would have never forgiven myself.
December 15, 2007. Payton got to come home from basic on Christmas Exodus!! To say I was the happiest girl in the world would be an understatement! The first time I saw him I didn't recognize him. Shaved head and about 30 pounds lighter, he looked like a different person. It was so great to see him again and in my heart I knew he had something special planned during these two weeks home....
December 27, 2007. It was the one year anniversary since our first kiss. Have I mentioned yet how blessed I have been with Payton? He was my first boyfriend and I had never been kissed. He waited SO very patiently for me to be ready. Never once pressured me and even got upset when he went to kiss me on the cheek and I turned at the wrong time and he slightly hit my lips. He felt HORRIBLE because He really wanted ME to be ready and I am so greatful for that. So anyways, one year later we planned a special date. We were going to Texas Road House and the Walkway of Lights like we did the year before. Payton's plan was to make our trip to the Walkway just like it had been a year ago. We'd see the lights, then go to the little shop and get a brownie and hot chocolate. Unfortunately, we got to the shop too late and it was closed. So there we stood outside on a rainy, foggy night freezing to death haha Despite foiled plans, Payton proposed right there in his ACU's and I guess I didn't say yes, I said "I'd love to!" haha The ring was PERFECT and I was so proud of him because he picked it out all on his own!
Januay 12, 2008. I drove down to Ft Benning, GA with Paytons mom and brother to see him graduate from Basic Training. I couldn't have been more proud of him!! It was so exciting to know that he had accomplished this and it was great to have a few hours with him again. He was to be stationed in Hawaii and as exciting as it sounded to one day live there, it was so far away :( This goodbye was probably the hardest though, because he knew that in a matter of weeks he was deploying to Iraq. This would be the last time we'd see each other before he went over there. I was scared. So very scared....
February 28, 2008. I think this day probably is a tye with the day he left for basic. This was the day Payton deployed. To make matters worse, this was also the day we buried a dear friend of the family and church. In fact his funeral had just ended when I got the phone call from Payton saying he was leaving for the airport. Talk about a rough day....The deployment was hard. Lots of tears were shed over that year. I was stressed to the max with college, a job, and wedding plans. I was scared, a lot. I always wondered if that last phone call or Facebook message would be it. I am so thankful that in May he was able to get his R & R and was home for his birthday. Unfortunately that meant 10 solid months apart as he finished the rest of his deployment. There were many break downs during those 10 months. I was so blessed with great family and friends that were there for me during those times. I was also able to go down to GA and visit my Aunt Sandy and her kids for a few days. My uncle was also in Iraq at the time so it was nice to be with someone who knew EXACTLY what I was going through!
I know this has been very long, but I don't want to end on such a sad note so here is one more thing.....
March 2008. Payton was finally back in Hawaii and out of Iraq!!! It was like a huge rock was lifted off my chest and I could breath again. He was safe, unharmed and we had made it! In just a few short weeks he was back home for leave, AND he was able to be home for my birthday :) I still to this day thank God for keeping him safe over there!
Ok that's enough for now. I'm sure you are all bored and have read enough :) Later today I'll post the wedding details and the months leading up to it. Hope you are all having a wonderful day!
No comments:
Post a Comment